Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription Access

Allotments in Dublin 1900–1950

Mary Forrest

Abstract


Allotments, more commonly called ‘plots’, were first laid out in inner city Dublin in the early 20th century. Their purpose was to allow ‘plotholders’ to grow vegetables primarily for their own use. A range of state and voluntary organisations supported the allotment movement. Following the introduction of Government regulations in 1917, the number of allotments increased in an attempt to boost wartime food production. Following a decline in the early 1920s, the Acquisition of Lands (Allotments) Act of 1926 spurred further growth. However, many allotments were lost to housing schemes, while new allotments were located further into the developing suburbs. Dublin Corporation continued to provide allotments, especially during the Second World War. By 1949, however, the supply of allotments exceeded demand. This paper draws on government, trade and newspaper reports to consider the evolution of the allotment movement in Dublin during the first half of the twentieth century, illustrating the changing numbers of allotments and their location.


Full Text:

PDF


DOI: https://doi.org/10.2014/igj.v44i2.46

URN: http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:irg:ie:0000-igj.v44i2.466

URN (PDF): http://nbn-resolving.de/urn:irg:ie:0000-igj.v44i2.46.g478

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.



Copyright © Geographical Society of Ireland | Home | Contact us | ISSN: 0075-0778 (Print), 1939-4055 (Online) | Last Update: November 10, 2021